Friday, March 25, 2005

Social graces of an amoeba.

I wish I had a camera today. I’ve been explaining to people that my bathroom is in another building. All the buildings are connected so it’s not like I have to go out to potty. I have two options: one bathroom is right next to the Dean’s office so every VP is in there. Personally, I don’t want to be doing #1 or 2 next to my boss. The other bathroom is in the lab rat building. To get to this bathroom I need to pass this giant computer room (imagine magnetic tapes galore), a radiation room, two nitrogen tanks (5’5” tall), a heat room and a cold room.
Whenever I tell people this, they don’t believe me. Next week, I’m going to have to photograph this for you.

Aside from the lab rat that didn’t wash her hands after using the restroom, they generally keep to themselves. However, the other day, I used their elevator to go up a floor to attend a meeting. The doors opened and there were three labrats. Two were males and one was an Asian female. As the doors closed, one of the males said, “Have you people heard of stairs?” I turned to the portly rodent and smiled a gross characterization of a Chinese person smiling. I giggled, put my hand on my mouth and said, “Apparently you haven’t.” and got off at my stop. I suppose social graces aren’t needed when your days are spent staring at Petri dishes.